* Please note: development life cycle of this program came to an end.
This page is being kept here for the reference only.
* Version 2.52 - Deals with hi-jacking search-pages through executable URLs
* Version 2.5 - Rewritten procedure for handling search-page hijacking through
the HOSTS file.
* Version 2.2 - Improved "eradication procedure". Many small tweeks and
improvments. Detects even more hi-jackers.
* Version 2.1 - Detects more hi-jackers. Improved speed on simple cases like
topsearcher (sp.dll), REGSVC32.exe (wowsearch.org, ace-webmaster.com, exemegaseek.net, hastalavista.com
), gshp.vbs, etc.
* Version 2.0 - SEARCHPAGE GUARD added. Now user can control StartPage and
SearchPage settings as well. Every parameter for SearchPage can be set
independently without fiddling with registry. Please read HELP - is really
useful. Now SPG detects and _remove_ many more invaders, including those that
attempted to overtake SearchPages.
* Version 1.3 - added detection for 52XYXY.COM. Also part of the scan engine
has been rewritten, plus minor changes to the user interface.
* Version 1.2 is an effective cure against more "persistent intruders"
like SEXHOUND and MYCPWORLD.
StartPage Guard (SPG) protects
your PC from cyberscam, by detecting and preventing any unauthorized changes
to your internet browser's Start and Search pages. It is also capable of
removing automatically most of known "invaders".
programs (viruses, trojans, backdoors, etc.) sometime change the
StartPage to "gain the ground". Spywares use this way
to invade user's privacy by tracking destinations which user
visited, and collecting personal information. In some cases this
activity may be totally transparent to the user. But most often
this is just plain annoyance when start page is changed without
asking user's permission. SPG effectively deals with all this
problems, making surfing the net safer, more secure, and by
reducing frustaration - more fun.
* ALWAYS remember user-selected StartPage.
* ALWAYS remember user-selected SearchPage settings.
* Alerts if start or search page has been changed.
* Detects and reports transparent-redirect attempts.
* Can automatically revert to user-selected start and search page without
* Deals with disabled (grayed) set-startpage-address buttons on IE.
* Simple and user friendly interface.
* Includes useful HELP (please read at least once).
* Whole program is a single, file, written in C++.
* Install / uninstall included.
Copyright © 2002
Piotr J. Walczak